LZBravo

LZBravo

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

First Patrol South Vietnam 1967

Tour of Duty - Late December 1967

I’m Pvt Cage and I am right out of Parris Island. I’ve been assigned to the 3rd Marine Div North of Hue. Our mission is to checkout a local hamlet that has been friendly but very quiet lately. 


Even though 1sr Squad had only six active men, we went out unreinforced 


Taylor raised a closed fist and everyone quickly got low and halted. I was told Taylor was the best point man in the platoon and jeez he had just volunteered for a second tour. Taylor rose up and we began moving again. It must’ve been the wind or an animal. 


The single shot rang out! In a blink, I hit the ground looking for the source.   


Jones was down but I see he’s still moving. Anderson squeezes off a burst toward the patty and we all see the sniper sprawled over the patty wall.


“Taylor Cage move to the edge of the hamlet”, directed Sgt Anderson


The NVA spot us at the same time and like the regulars they are get off the first shots. 


Taylor tucks in by the wall but I’m able to put some fire on the NVA. 


I’m glad the old timer told me to take the M14 when offered even though it was largely phased out. It fired true and hard. Three NVA down!


The remaining NVA withdrew. We advanced into the hamlet finding it fully abandoned. SGT Anderson said it looked like our old foe the NVA 324 Division was back. I felt like I had just earned all $102 Uncle Sam was paying me this month!


Wrap Up

I am using Two Hour Wargames FNG with the goal of playing Cage’s entire tour. 
It has a great built in campaign and advancement system. I was amazed Cage scored three hits and three out of fight results. I’ve started him as a Rep 3. Based on how things play out over the month your Rep can go up, down, or stay the same. 
FNG is perfect for solo, coop, or face to face so as the campaign goes on a different mission could be played in any of those ways. I used the oxen to represent the possible enemy forces in FNG. The first one I rolled was a none result but that ups the chance the next one is real. 

14 comments:

  1. Been trying to get my FNG campaign started, still working on terrain. Great write-up, I'll have to keep up with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has taken me so long too. Thanks for the kind words and I hope you do swing back to see mission 2.

      Delete
  2. Very nice John. Which version of FNG are you playing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, if you are interested in forums. I highly recommend https://fieldsoffire.forumotion.com/ for 'Nam inspiration.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rodney! I’m using the newest second edition. It comes with nice counters too for folks that prefer that style of gaming.

      Delete
    3. I used to go there a bunch. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
    4. Newest is actually FNG3. It's my preferred rule set for Vietnam.

      Delete
    5. Your are 100% correct and that’s what I’m using too. It’s awesome! I intend to use a few of the Saigon interludes too.

      Delete
  3. This is interesting.. I’m more and more curious about some of these rules sets..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus, I do enjoy the Two Hour Wargames rules. They are a perfect solo or co op plus good head to head.

      Delete
  4. Nice one. I particularly like the use of the oxen as PEF markers - very flavourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw someone use animals on a dark ages AAR and I thought it was cool! I thanks him on FB when I borrowed the idea.

      Delete
  5. Nice, looking forward to more

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’m hoping to play another mission this weekend.

      Delete